Saturday, January 18, 2014

The To Do List



On the to-do-list, do not ever write, “Write kindle book” as a task, it you should always break the task down to small tasks that can be accomplished in 3, 6, or 9, month’s goal or an annual goal. The human brain sees write a book and does not know where to begin, so it shuts down altogether. Here is a To do List Template for writing a book.

Jungle Beauty Goddess Sahara 
Ruler of the Mind, Knowledge, Rational Thinking, and Information

By Cassandra George Sturges


Dear Jungle Beauty Goddess Sahara,

The To Do List that I write every night before going to bed includes everything that I want to accomplish the next day. The only problem is that even though I complete the majority of tasks on my daily to-do-list, I am not one single step closer to writing my book—which is my ultimate dream goal.

Taking care of my husband and children is my first priority, followed closely by my responsibilities as the director of a child welfare agency. Not only is my job important because of the children’s lives who are saved every day from neglect and abuse; it is also my livelihood and helps put food on the table and savings for my own  kids’ college education.

If finding the time to write a book was easy everyone would do it. My family and friends make jokes about me never writing my book and this really hurts my feelings. I feel like they are implying that I am lazy or just a big kid with a pipe dream; but this is far from the true.

I wish I had never shared my dreams of writing a book with anyone. But the thing that is most devastating of all, is that every night when I write the to do list, I transfer over to the next day “write book.”

Do you think that maybe I should postpone my dream of writing a book to later on in life-- after my kids have gone away to college? Or maybe I could write a book after I retire from my job because I will have time to devote to writing every day without being disturbed?
The thought of taking it off of my daily list of things to do, makes my stomach hurt. In my heart, I really want to write my book, I just don’t know how to get started without neglecting my family and / or my job.

Sincerely,

Done with To Do Lists



Dear Done with To Do Lists,

It is virtually impossible for the average human to just “write a book,” get a degree, become a doctor, lawyer, actor, or teacher. The old adage is: How do you eat an dinosaur?-- One bite at a time. This means that you need to develop a plan on how you will organize not only your time, but break the project down into tiny small bites.

Let’s work backwards from your goal of writing a book. Your first goal should be finding the topic that your want to write about, if you have not already done so. Your first task on your to do list can be to find three to five topics that you could possibly write about. Sleep on the decision. There are will always be critics, and naysayers who will not like you, your book, or your topic. So write to yourself. What information do you wish was more readily available? Be your own audience and overtime you will attract kindred spirits.

After you have selected your topic, narrow it down to sections or possible chapters.  Your chapters are not written in stone, you can change them as you get further along in the process. So don’t stress out thinking that it has to be perfect.

Determine how much research will be needed to write your book for each chapter. Set a goal to research 5-7 books each week or day, depending on your schedule. Make sure your tasks are measurable, otherwise your results will be vague and you won’t feel like you are moving closer to your goal.  Take meticulous notes, outlining each chapter with your ideas.  For example, you may take a week to outline each chapter.  On your to do list, write: Outline 2 pages for chapter 1 on Monday, 2 pages for chapter one on Tuesday, etc…  By the end of the week chapter one will be completely outlined. Use the same process for the other chapters until all of your chapters are outlined.

After you have outlined your chapters, on your daily to-do-list, write down: “type 2-3 pages for chapter one on Monday,” Write 2-3 pages on chapter one on Tuesday,” do this for each day of the week until you complete chapter one. Use this same process to complete each chapter.


Once you breakdown your goal so that it is doable, you may have to give up television for a few months until you complete your book.  Do not put off writing your book if this is something that you really want to accomplish. There will always be an excuse not to go after the deepest desires of your heart. Delegate responsibilities at work and home, say no to social invites, and do not engage in social media until your book is done.  When you begin working on your book, your self-esteem and self-respect will soar in ways that you can never imagine. 

On your to-do-list, do not ever write. “Write book” as a task, it you should always break the task down to small tasks that can be accomplished in 3, 6, or 9, months goal or an annual goal. The human brain sees write a book and does not know where to begin, so it shuts down altogether.

Sincerely,

Jungle Beauty Goddess Sahara

The Jungle Beauty Goddesses advice column offer words of encouragement, Inspirational and motivational life stories, quotes, videos, images and pictures.  Most inspiring daily motivation short stories, quotes, and sayings.

No comments:

Post a Comment