Thursday, March 3, 2016

Is Oprah Winfrey’s Weight Watchers Commercial fair to the Public?



Is Oprah Winfrey’s Weight Watchers Commercial fair to the Public?

By Cassandra George Sturges

Oprah Winfrey is Black Royalty. I was going to say, African American Royalty but that would be too limiting of a category. Oprah Winfrey’s influence is global. In my home, I have pictures of Oprah Winfrey, President Barack Obama, with his arms wrapped around his super, gorgeous, wife First Lady, Michelle Obama, and Jesus. That’s it. I know Oprah Winfrey is only human, but to me she is an immortal Black Goddess who will inspire billions of people of all races, genders, and nationalities for centuries to come long after her physical body is gone.


I have struggled with whether or not, I should write a blog that criticizes Oprah Winfrey in any way because  one, I love her so much—nothing will ever change that; and two, if I piss her off she will never read my books or interview me for her television show. I have decided that I need to be true to the voice that God has given me. And when I come from a place of honor and respect, I become my highest and best self--and that is all I owe the world.


My duty is to my soul’s authentic expression, not money, celebrities, and/or material wealth.
I am currently enrolled in a class and the first lesson from my now deceased professor, Dr. Leon Masters is: “If I cannot demonstrate it in my own life—then I know nothing.” When I read this, I felt that this was the most soul-stirring, heart-wrenching, and thought-provoking truth I have ever read. I could not stop reading this sentence over and over and over again. 



I need to write it one more time, “If I cannot demonstrate it in my own life—then I know nothing.” Dr. Leon Masters



When I saw Oprah Winfrey’s commercial for Weight Watchers, I was stunned. We have publicly watched Oprah Winfrey struggle with her weight for several decades. Oprah has been celebrated and cherished as not just an ordinary “celebrity” but as someone with “integrity” who has the “Midas Touch.” Whatever product, book, or program Oprah Winfrey endorses becomes the gospel truth…because we believe in her honor and her search for truth.


My personal belief is that all humans are designed to look different with various body sizes and shapes to pursue unique goals, dreams, and purposes. Oprah Winfrey is beautiful but she doesn’t believe it. She was created with the perfect beauty to inspire, motivate, and instill public trust. I wonder if her decision to join and promote weight watchers was because she needs the money or she believes that Weight Watchers is the permanent solution for weight loss...this time. 


Like any other program, Weight Watchers work for some people and not for others. However, when a person with Oprah’s wealth and status promote a product, I think it would be easy for the average person to lose sight of their weight loss goal and be enamored by her affiliation with the company. People don’t care about the product that the Oprah Winfrey is selling, people love her… and her word is gold.


Maybe being a part of Weight Watchers is a part of Oprah’s divine plan where she is called upon to inspire people to eat healthy portions. I hope this is the case. I hope that Oprah’s intentions are aligned with her highest good for herself and others because she is a royal, black goddess. If she hasn’t mastered the lessons of weight-loss-- whatever they maybe—I don’t see how she can teach them to others with integrity. However, if Oprah Winfrey’s primary goal is to be a wealthy mogul and take her fans, followers, and admirers on a journey to nowhere with her…  Naw. Oprah wouldn’t do this. Right?

When I come home from work, I always nearly trip over my son’s shoes in front of the doorway. The only reason, I don’t complain to him about his shoes being in my way is because my shoes are always next to his. I feel like a hypocrite telling my son to move his shoes, since I have not mastered the art of putting my own shoes away.

No comments:

Post a Comment