Thursday, February 16, 2017

Life Quote of the Day - No man ever steps in the same river twice



Life Quote of the Day:

“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river and he’s not the same man.” Heraclitus

~~~

By, Cassandra George Sturges

Triumph, the first magazine I started was made of six sheets of 11 x 17 paper folded in half. The first business I called over the phone to sell an ad to was a Jerk Chicken Shack listed in an African American Business guide published by the NAACP in Ypsilanti. The owner immediately said, yes. She had not seen the publication. I had never eaten at her restaurant. She said yes before I could read her the script that I had written.

She gave me directions to her restaurant. When I arrived, she reached into her register, gave me a $50 bill, hugged me, and said I wish you the best my sistah in her Jamaican accent. It seems like almost every African American business that I contacted paid for an ad in my little  Triumph Magazine.



I was invited to Barrister’s Balls, political breakfasts and luncheons, as well as celebrity parties. I was so shy that I attended very few functions. I almost fainted when I heard a local radio station discussing my interview with  Evening News Reporter Frank Turner who was fired from channel 7 News at the time. Triumph Magazine had magic from the moment I started it.

I stopped publishing Triumph Magazine because I felt inferior eating at the same table with Mayor Archer, Gil Hill and other major Detroit political officials. I couldn’t handle the success of the magazine. I felt that I didn’t deserve it. So, I decided to go back to school to complete my doctorate degree in psychology.


I completed my degrees, only to find myself yearning for the exhilaration of publishing my own magazine. I longed to sail down the river of my dreams with the wind kissing my face, not knowing where or when it would end or who would be by my side for the ride. I have published several magazines since Triumph but I could never recapture its magical prosperity and whimsical success.

Triumph was a black and white publication because initially I couldn’t afford color ink. Every magazine that I published after Triumph looked more polished and professional with full color pages; however, I was unable to make them profitable.

I tried so many times to step back in to that Triumph River, but every time I jumped in, I nearly drowned.

Life Quotes Practical Application

1.      I hear that one of things that destroy most artists is the desire to surpass their previous success. What they don’t realize is that there were so many variables outside of their control that contributed to their rise to fame and fortune. For example, people in the 60s and 70s played in small and large clubs all over the country. They did not have MTV, YouTube videos, and social media.

These entertainers played in front of live audiences without the help of technology. Many artists today would have never made it under these circumstances. They don’t have the talent or the grit that made the Beetles and the Temptations timeless superstars.

2.    I think one of the secrets to success is finding and respecting the current of the flowing river, that leads you to your dreams. The mystical secret to success that no one really talks about is how unnerving, exciting, frightening, and exhilarating the ride is to everything you ever wanted. It is not as fun as most people think it is.
This is why orgasms only last a few seconds. Even though, I had such a tiny taste of success, I felt that my life was out of control. I didn’t understand why people liked me and what I would have to do to keep them liking me. If I had it to do all over again, I would hold on, enjoy the view, and not worry about why the river chose me.
 
3.    If there is no flow, let it go. If you are trying to rekindle, recapture, or repeat some amazing experience you had in the past, add a new element to make it special. Usually when we try to relive the past, the moment falls flat because what made it special was the fleeting magical elixir of time and space that will never happen again.

~~~

Quotes Translator, Weekly Column by, Cassandra George Sturges discusses Inspirational quotes, motivational quotes, famous quotes, quote of the day, positive quotes, life quotes, Quotes about life, life lessons, and relationship quotes and their applications to your life.

Here are links to other Life Quote of the Day Columns:


 


~~~

Check out my Authentik Beauty Handmade Doll Crafts Free DIYs & Tutorials on my YouTube Channel
 
Click Picture to go to my Authentik Beauty Handmade Dolls YouTube Channel
Click Picture to go to Authentik Beauty Handmade Crafts YouTube Channel


I stopped publishing Triumph Magazine because I felt inferior eating at the same table with Mayor Archer, Gil Hill and other major Detroit political officials… I completed my degrees, only to find myself yearning for the exhilaration of publishing my own magazine. I longed to sail down the river of my dreams with the wind kissing my face, not knowing where or when it would end or who would be by my side for the ride. I have published several magazines since Triumph but I could never recapture its magical prosperity and whimsical success.


No comments:

Post a Comment